Croatia Times Travel
182 Lincoln Rd, Henderson
Auckland 0610
T: +64 9 838 7700

ctt ctt ctt

Croatia By Car


To enter Croatia, a driver’s licence, an automobile registration card and vehicle insurance documents are required. An international driving licence is required for the use of rent-a-car services. The permit is issued by the parent motor-club.

The driver of a motor vehicle registered abroad entering the territory of the Republic of Croatia must have a valid International Motor Third Party Liability Insurance document valid on the territory of the European Union, or some other evidence of the existence of such insurance. International insurance documents and evidences are considered to be either an official licence plate of a vehicle normally stationed on the territory of a country whose national insurance bureau is a signatory of the Multilateral agreement or a valid Green Card issued for a vehicle which originates from a country whose national insurance bureau is not a signatory of the Multilateral agreement and other documents and evidences whose validity is recognised by the Croatian insurance Bureau.


•50 km/h – within settled areas
•90 km/h – outside settled areas
•110 km/h – on major roadways designed exclusively for motor vehicles, and on highways
•130 km/h – on motorways
•80 km/h – for motor vehicles with a caravan trailer without brakes
•80 km/h – for buses and buses with a light trailer; on motorways, buses are allowed to drive up to 100 km/h, except for those buses carrying children

Please reduce and adjust your speed in wet road conditions


•Driving with dipped headlights is obligatory during winter time
•The use of mobile telephones while driving is forbidden
•The use of seat belts is obligatory

A reflective sleeveless jacket is an obligatory part of every vehicle’s emergency equipment. The driver is obliged to wear it when he or she is on the road, outside the car (changing a tyre, doing repair works on the car, filling up with petrol, stopping other cars in an attempt to seek help, etc).


In larger cities and on the motorways, petrol stations are open 24 hours a day. Petrol stations sell Eurosuper 95, Super 95, Super 98, Super plus 98, Euro Diesel and Diesel. Gas (LPG) is available in major cities and at petrol stations on motorways. For information on fuel prices and a list of centres selling LPG gas go to:,, and


A1 Zagreb – Bosiljevo – Zadar – Šibenik – Split – Šestanovac – Ravča
A2 Zagreb – Zaprešić – Krapina – Macelj
A3 Bregana – Zagreb – Slavonski Brod – Županja – Lipovac
A4 Zagreb – Varaždin – Goričan
A5 Osijek – Đakovo – Sredanci
A6 Zagreb – Karlovac – Bosiljevo – Vrbovsko – Rijeka
A7 Rijeka – Rupa

Three-lane two-way roads:
The Istrian Y (motorway on the Istrian Peninsula) with toll booths at the “Tunnel Učka” and the “Mirna” viaduct.

For more information go to:;;;;;